Pele to leave intensive care this week, says daughter | Inquirer Sports

Pele to leave intensive care this week, says daughter

/ 01:29 PM September 14, 2021

Pele

FILE PHOTO: Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo is congratulated by Pele after being awarded the FIFA Ballon d’Or 2013 in Zurich January 13, 2014. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann/File Photo

Pele will be moved out of intensive care in the next day or two as the Brazil soccer great continues his recovery from surgery, his daughter Kely Nascimento said.

The 80-year-old, three-time World Cup winner has been in the Alberto Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo since doctors removed a tumor from his colon earlier this month.

“He is doing well post-surgery, he is not in pain and is in a good mood (annoyed that he can only eat jello but will persevere!). He will move into a regular room in the next day or two and then go home,” Nascimento said on Instagram.

FEATURED STORIES

“He is strong and stubborn and with the support and care of the brilliant team at Einstein and all of the love, energy and light that the world is sending, he will get through this!”

The hospital said last Friday that Pele was recovering satisfactorily.

Pele has suffered from hip problems for years and cannot walk unaided. His public appearances were already being cut before the COVID-19 pandemic and since then he has made few unnecessary forays outside his house near Santos.

RELATED STORIES

Football legend Pele says he is doing well after surgery

Brazil legend Pele recovering after tumor operation

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

TAGS: Pele

© Copyright 1997-2024 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.