‘Nothing official’ on Pacquiao retirement, says Gibbons
MANILA, Philippines—There is “nothing official” about Manny Pacquiao’s retirement from boxing despite his recent pronouncement, according to MP Promotions president Sean Gibbons.
Pacquiao said his “boxing career is already over” when asked about his future in the ring if he becomes president in an interview with television personality Toni Gonzaga posted on the actress’ YouTube channel on Sunday.
“There is nothing 100% set that [Pacquiao] is done with boxing,” Gibbons told boxingscene.com. “He will make a decision in October. [For now], he is just discussing ‘maybe or maybe not.’ Nothing official,” Gibbons added.
Pacquiao, who declared his candidacy for president in the 2022 elections under PDP-Laban faction on Sunday, had long been pondering about retirement as far back as 2015 to focus on his political career.
In fact, he briefly retired after beating Tim Bradley in their third meeting back in April 2016 before making his return seven months later to dominate Jessie Vargas.
Last month, Pacquiao was upset by Yordenis Ugas in his first fight in 25 months. The stunning loss left Pacquiao, 42, with an uncertain boxing future.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.