Latest Gilas struggles ‘distress signal’ to fix national program–Chot
MANILA, Philippines—The surprise coaching change and scarcity of available players at Gilas Pilipinas ahead of the upcoming Fiba World Cup Asian Qualifiers serve as a “distress signal” for the program as far as returning mentor Chot Reyes is concerned.
“I think what happened now, yung gulong itong nangyari (the mess that’s happening), I think was kind of a distress signal to really get our acts together and ayusin yung programa (fix the program),” said Reyes during the PSA Forum on Tuesday.
Reyes was appointed by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) as head coach of Gilas Pilipinas, a role vacated by Tab Baldwin following his unexpected resignation, on February 1.
At the same time, the national team lost several of its players in Isaac Go, Rey Suerte and Allyn Bulanadi who all opted not to renew their contracts with the program.
A couple of prospects in University of the Philippines’ Carl Tamayo and La Salle’s Justine Baltazar, meanwhile, begged off to focus on the UAAP.
With the developments, the national team program is forced to start all over again less than three weeks before Gilas faces a familiar foe in South Korea in the qualifiers at Araneta Coliseum.
SBP chair emeritus Manny V. Pangilinan had already taken responsibility for Gilas’ recent troubles.
Reyes, meanwhile, did not guarantee anything with regard to righting Gilas’ ship but vowed to do what’s necessary within his capacity.
“There is no assurance on my end. The only thing I could do is what is within my influence and my control and what that is, first prepare a competitive team for February and the next is put an entire program together and I will work to the best of my ability to put the best people together,” he said.
“But what does the future hold? No one can tell. We will never know.”