Marin Cilic pulls out of Wimbledon after testing positive for COVID-19
LONDON—Former finalist Marin Cilic has pulled out of Wimbledon after testing positive for COVID-19, the Croatian said on Monday.
The 33-year-old Cilic, who won the U.S. Open in 2014, reached the final of the grasscourt Grand Slam five years ago when he lost to Roger Federer.
@Wimbledon 🌱💔 pic.twitter.com/JPkYLwIr4s
— Marin Cilic (@cilic_marin) June 27, 2022
“Hey guys, I am sad to share that I tested positive for COVID,” he said on his Instagram account, adding that he was “heartbroken” to see his season on grass end due to illness.
“I have been self-isolating and was hopeful I would be ready but unfortunately I am still feeling unwell and unable to compete at my best.”
Cilic, who had been seeded 14th, came to Wimbledon in strong form, having reached the semi-finals at the French Open and also making the last four of the ATP 500 tournament on grass at Queen’s this month.
He would be replaced by lucky loser Nuno Borges of Portugal in the men’s singles draw, Wimbledon organizers said.
For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.