Spain reigns as Rafa Nadal second behind Carlos Alcaraz in ATP rankings
Spain reigns at the summit of men’s tennis with Carlos Alcaraz holding world number one spot in the ATP rankings released on Monday with compatriot Rafael Nadal moving back up to second.
Nadal, 36, benefited from Casper Ruud’s quarterfinal exit in Seoul where he was top seed, to move ahead of the Norwegian.
Novak Djokovic, winner of his third tournament this season in Tel Aviv, stays seventh but scores 250 precious points in the race for the ATP Finals in Turin, his end-of-season goal.
The Serb was competing in his first singles tournament in Israel since claiming a seventh Wimbledon crown in July, and can still earn points this week in the Astana ATP tournament.
Croat Marin Cilic gained two places moving from 16th to 14th, thanks to his reaching the final in Tel Aviv.
1. Carlos Alcaraz (ESP) 6740 pts
2. Rafael Nadal (ESP) 5810 (+1)
3. Casper Ruud (NOR) 5645 (-1)
4. Daniil Medvedev 5065
5. Alexander Zverev (GER) 5040
6. Stefanos Tsitsipas (GRE) 4810
7. Novak Djokovic (SRB) 3820
8. Cameron Norrie (GBR) 3445
9. Andrey Rublev 3345
10. Hubert Hurkacz (POL) 3175 (+1)
11. Taylor Fritz (USA) 3055 (+1)
12. Jannik Sinner (ITA) 3040 (-2)
13. Félix Auger-Aliassime (CAN) 2950
14. Marin Cilic (CRO) 2495 (+2)
15. Pablo Carreño (ESP) 2360 (-1)
16. Matteo Berrettini (ITA) 2360 (-1)
17. Diego Schwartzman (ARG) 2110
18. Karen Khachanov 1990
19. Frances Tiafoe (USA) 1940
20. Nick Kyrgios (AUS) 1780
Nadal hints at extended break after US Open exit
Carlos Alcaraz ‘hungry for more’ after landmark US Open triumph
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.