Tim Tszyu demolishes Ocampo to set up Jermell Charlo super welterweight showdown | Inquirer Sports

Tim Tszyu demolishes Ocampo to set up Jermell Charlo super welterweight showdown

/ 03:36 PM June 18, 2023

Tim Tszyu boxing super welterweight

Australian boxer Tim Tszyu (R) celebrates with his partner Alexandra Constantine following his victory over USA’s Tony Harrison in their WBO super welterweight world title bout at Qudos Bank Arena in Sydney on March 12, 2023. (Photo by Saeed KHAN / AFP) 

Australian power puncher Tim Tszyu scored a stunning first-round knockout over Mexico’s Carlos Ocampo to retain his interim WBO super welterweight title Sunday and set up a shot at undisputed champion Jermell Charlo.

The 28-year-old, son of renowned former world champion Kostya Tszyu, came out with all guns blazing at Australia’s Gold Coast despite needing surgery just weeks ago after a nasty dog bite.

He landed some huge right-handers, and a blistering left hook, to twice put Ocampo on the canvas, with the fight over in just 72 seconds. Tszyu connected with 14 punches, while the shell-shocked Mexican failed to land a single one.

FEATURED STORIES

“I think it was a statement made. America is the land I want to conquer, the land I’m going to next, the big one is coming,” said Tszyu, who earned the interim belt with a savage ninth-round stoppage of American Tony Harrison at Sydney in March.

“I’ve got the interim belt, but I’m not satisfied. I want all four. I want the name Charlo on my resume.”

The victory kept Tszyu’s unbeaten record intact as he moved to 23-0 (17 KOs) to position himself as the mandatory challenger for the unified titles.

Jermell Charlo boxing super welterweight

Jermell Charlo celebrates in the ring after defeating Brian Castano in their super middleweight title fight at Dignity Health Sports Park on May 14, 2022 in Carson, California. Charlo won by knockout in the 10th round.Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images/AFP

American Charlo (35-1-1, 19 KOs) hasn’t fought since knocking out Brian Castano in a May 2022 rematch following a disputed draw in their first meeting.

ADVERTISEMENT

He and Tszyu had been poised to fight in Las Vegas in January but the American’s defense of all four major sanctioning body world crowns was postponed after he broke his left hand.

The pair have been ordered to face off for the WBA, WBC, WBO and IBF super-welterweight belts later this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I’ve copped a lot of adversity coming into this fight and it was just about pushing through. I didn’t think it would be that early, this guy is a warrior,” Tszyu said.

Tszyu came into the fight despite undergoing emergency surgery for a gaping wound on his right arm just three weeks ago that needed 26 stitches.

But he showed no lingering issues with his movement or punching power to send Charlo a message.

On the undercard, rising Australian prospect Sam Goodman beat American Ra’eese Aleem on a split decision in an IBF super-bantamweight world title elimination match.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

It put him in line for a clash with Filipino Marlon Tapales — the WBA/IBF champion — with scores of 117-111 and 116-112 in his favour and the third judge giving it to Aleem 122-116.

TAGS: Carlos Ocampo, Tim Tszyu

© Copyright 1997-2024 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.