Close  

Brazilian football player convicted of murder leaves prison

/ 03:00 PM July 20, 2019
Bruno Fernandes

FILE – This April 7, 2010 file photo shows Flamengo’s goalkeeper Bruno Fernandes de Souza during a soccer game in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Fernandes de Souza, convicted in 2010 for ordering the killing of the mother of his child has left prison on Friday, July 19, 2019, after nine years to finish serving his 22-year sentence in house arrest. Investigators said the body was never found because it was dismembered and fed to dogs. (AP Photo/Felipe Dana, File)

SAO PAULO— A Brazilian football player convicted of murder left prison Friday after nine years to finish serving his 22-year sentence in house arrest.

Former Flamengo goalkeeper Bruno Fernandes de Souza was jailed in 2010 for ordering the killing of the mother of his child, Eliza Samúdio. Prosecutors said she was demanding de Souza pay for the child’s support. Investigators said her body was never found because it was dismembered and fed to dogs.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 34-year-old de Souza did not speak to journalists after leaving prison in the city of Varginha, 175 miles to the west of Rio de Janeiro.

De Souza had been released on a technicality in February 2017, and played some matches for a Varginha club. But Brazil’s top court ordered him back to jail weeks later.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Brazil, Bruno Fernandes de Souza, Football, Sports
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.