Japan Olympics head slams Tokyo cancellation report | Inquirer Sports
Close  

‘Wrong and ridiculous’: Japan Olympics head slams Tokyo cancellation report

/ 09:35 PM January 22, 2021
Tokyo 2020 CEO

FILE PHOTO: Yasuhiro Yamashita, President of Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC), delivers a speech during the display ceremony for the Olympic Flame at the Olympic Museum in Tokyo, Japan August 31, 2020. Rodrigo Reyes Marin/Pool via REUTERS

TOKYO—The head of Japan’s national Olympic committee on Friday dismissed media reports that the Japanese government has privately concluded it will have to cancel the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and said preparations were underway for the Games to go ahead as planned.

“We are planning how to hold a safe and secure Games in great detail, working closely with the International Olympic Committee and the World Health Organisation,” Japan Olympic Committee chairman Yasuhiro Yamashita said in an interview with Reuters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Britain’s Times reported on Friday that Tokyo was looking to get out of hosting the Games, drawing sharp criticism and flat denials from Japan’s government and Olympics organizers.

“It’s wrong and it’s ridiculous even having to comment on this,” Yamashita said of the reports, before asking not to be asked any “worthless” questions.

FEATURED STORIES

Last year, the government had been pinning its hopes on a coronavirus vaccine to help make the Olympics safer, but more recently Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has said vaccinations were not a prerequisite for athletes to participate in the Games.

Yamashita, a gold medallist in judo at the 1984 Olympics, shied away from commenting on how the JOC planned to communicate with Japanese athletes about inoculations.

“It’s a decision for the government to make. It’s not for the JOC to decide,” he said, adding that he couldn’t give a definitive timeline given that the vaccines were not being distributed yet.

Yamashita himself knows what it feels like to miss out on the Olympics, as he could not participate as an athlete in the boycotted 1980 Moscow Olympics.

“I realized that I might have been the luckiest one of the athletes who missed out on the Moscow Olympics,” he said, as he went on to win gold in Los Angeles four years later.

“There must be people who are still hurt from having their once-in-a-lifetime opportunity taken from them,” he said, explaining the reasoning behind his push to include such former athletes in the torch relay for Tokyo 2020.

“I just felt it was my responsibility as a human being to make sure that they could take part in this Olympics, in some way or form,” he added.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: tokyo 2020, Tokyo Olympics
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.