Eight men arrested for online racist abuse of Spurs player
Eight men have been arrested as part of an investigation into the online racist abuse of an unnamed Tottenham Hotspur player last month, London’s Metropolitan Police said on Friday
The police said the investigation took place after a Spurs player was targeted with “highly offensive and racist remarks” on Twitter following their 3-1 Premier League loss to Manchester United on April 11.
Spurs condemned the “abhorrent” racial abuse of South Korean forward Son Heung-min on social media after the game.
We welcome the action taken here. There is no place for racism anywhere in our game and society. https://t.co/Fz6fOiIGBjFEATURED STORIES
— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) May 21, 2021
The police said four other men were also interviewed, with all 12 of them being “under suspicion of using words or behaviour or displaying written material with intent to stir up racial hatred.”
Spurs said they welcomed the action taken by the police.
“There is no place for racism anywhere in our game and society,” the club tweeted.
The abuse was initially detected through United’s online racist abuse reporting tool and then flagged to the police in Manchester, with the Met Police leading the investigation, the statement added.
Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.