‘The fire is back’: Kevin Belingon ‘confident’ of a win in ONE return
MANILA, Philippines — Team Lakay coach Mark Sangiao isn’t guaranteeing a win by Kevin Belingon when the former undisputed bantamweight champion returns against South Korea’s Kwon Won II in ONE: Winter Warriors II on December 17 in Singapore.
But one thing’s for sure, Sangiao knows his blue-chip ward is hellbent on getting back on track.
“I saw Kevin’s preparation for the fight and the fire is back in him as well as his passion in training,” Sangiao said in Filipino during Team Lakay’s media availability on Wednesday.
“It’s going to be a long night for Kwon. I see a bloody fight,” he added.
The 34-year-old Belingon is entering the bout having lost three in a row. He lost to the hard-hitting John Lineker in October last year via second round stoppage in his last appearance in the ONE Championship Circle.
A year before that, Belingon was also stopped by Bibiano Fernandez in the second round of their fourth meeting as he failed to reclaim the world title.
Raring to redeem himself and earn another crack at the crown, Belingon is determined to prove that he is still on the same level he once was before the slump.
“I’m 100 percent ready and I’m confident that I will win this fight,” said Belingon, who added he was able to develop his weaknesses over the past year.
“For this fight, I really want to win by knockout or submission.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.