Casimero next defense not the big money fight he's looking for | Inquirer Sports
Close  

Casimero next defense not the big money fight he’s looking for

By: - Reporter / @BLozadaINQ
/ 05:29 PM October 09, 2021
FILE -- John Riel Casimero (L) reacts as Guillermo Rigondeaux gets up after a fall during their WBO Bantamweight title 12 round bout at Dignity Health Sports Park on August 14, 2021 in Carson, California

FILE — John Riel Casimero (L) reacts as Guillermo Rigondeaux gets up after a fall during their WBO Bantamweight title 12 round bout at Dignity Health Sports Park on August 14, 2021 in Carson, California. Michael Owens/Getty Images/AFP

MANILA, Philippines—Filipino slugger John Riel Casimero is disappointed that his next defense of the WBO bantamweight champion won’t be a big money fight after upstart promotional company Probellum became the lone bidder for the match.

The WBO ordered Casimero to defend his strap against mandatory challenger Paul Butler and the sanctioning body put a minimum requirement of $100,000 for any promotion to bid at.

ADVERTISEMENT

Casimero then took to Facebook to express his dismay over the low purse as Probellum, headed by former Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, only bid $105,000, making it the automatic winner in the bidding process.

“Lalaban kahit walang suporta! Let’s go!” posted Casimero on his Facebook page.

FEATURED STORIES

(I will fight even if I don’t have the proper support!)

MTK Global, the promotional company that handles Butler, didn’t attend the bidding process.

Despite the absence of a lucrative payday, Casimero said he’s still willing to defend the title as the fight will still help him in funding his charity drives in his hometown of Ormoc in Leyte.

“Lalaban para may maibigay ulit,” posted Casimero referring to his charity work when he doled out rice to the citizens of Ormoc.

Casimero is entitled to 75 percent of the purse, or $78,750 while Butler will pocket the remaining 25% or $26,250.

The brash Filipino was supposed to fight Nonito Donaire in a unification bout in August but that match was scrapped after the WBC champion pulled out of the fight citing Casimero’s derogatory remarks toward his family.

Donaire also alleged that Casimero is not enrolled under the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association’s system.

Casimero thus defended his title against Guillermo Rigondeaux in a dud of a fight that saw him come away with a split decision win.

RELATED STORIES

Casimero chasing big money after another impressive win

WBO champ Casimero wants Donaire, Inoue next

Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: John Riel Casimero, Paul Butler
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our sports news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.