Australian Open organizers deny slack COVID-19 testing | Inquirer Sports

Australian Open organizers deny slack COVID-19 testing

/ 09:33 PM January 20, 2022

The sun sets as Germany's Alexander Zverev (L) serves against Australia's John Millman during their men's singles match on day three of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on January 19, 2022.

The sun sets as Germany’s Alexander Zverev (L) serves against Australia’s John Millman during their men’s singles match on day three of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on January 19, 2022. (Photo by Martin KEEP / AFP) 

MELBOURNE–Australian Open organizers insisted on Thursday their COVID-19 protocols have been “really successful” despite some top players pointing to lax testing at the first Grand Slam of 2022.

Frenchman Ugo Humbert has tested positive and world number three Alexander Zverev of Germany believes there is probably more contagion going undetected.

The tournament director said all players had to test on arrival then again between day five and seven of the Jan. 17-30 competition whose start was overshadowed by the deportation of unvaccinated men’s world number one Novak Djokovic.

FEATURED STORIES

“On top of that there’s mandatory symptom testing and every single day each player is provided with an antigen kit that they can pick up at hotel or here on site,” Craig Tiley told Australia’s Channel 9.

“So far it’s worked well and it’s been really successful.”

However, two-time Grand Slam winner Garbine Muguruza also spoke of slack protocols, saying testing was optional at the Melbourne Park major with results not regularly monitored.

“I test every two days by myself in my room,” the Spaniard said on Thursday. “It’s not mandatory. I still do it.”

ADVERTISEMENT

AUSTRALIA PASSES 2 MILLION CASES

Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas, ranked fourth, said it was the athletes’ responsibility.

“I have been trying to get a few antigen tests and rapid tests to see whether or not I’m positive, which is a responsibility that I have, it’s something that I have to do in order to see if I’m 100%,” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

Australia on Thursday reached 2 million cases in the pandemic, though deaths have been relatively low by international standards at just over 2,900.

“Right throughout the year, the players have been traveling around the world and there have been protocols they have been following that have enabled them to do that,” Tiley added, saying Australia’s protocols were even more rigorous.

RELATED STORIES

Australia leaves door open for Djokovic to play at next year’s Open

Djokovic’s absence from Australian Open loss for game – ATP

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.

TAGS: Australian Open, COVID-19, Grand Slam

© Copyright 1997-2024 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.